Clean Water Action Endorses Phil Murphy for Governor
Trenton, NJ - Clean Water Action, New Jersey's largest environmental group, announced today its endorsement of Phil Murphy in the 2017 NJ Democratic primary for governor.
"New Jersey has been down in the environmental and economic dumps for eight long years. Enough is enough," said Janet Tauro, Clean Water Action's NJ Board Chair. "New Jersey needs a Governor who will lead with a clean energy agenda that will protect public health and clean water and provide a huge boost to the state's sluggish economy. New Jersey needs a Governor who will stand up to President Trump and his ruinous environmental policies. Phil Murphy will be that Governor."
In explaining the endorsement, the group noted that New Jersey’s environment, communities, and role as a national leader have been tarnished by the Christie administration while the Trump administration poses significant challenges to public health, clean water, and healthy communities. Our next governor must understand the challenges we face, set clear goals, and get to work to act on climate, protect clean water, and make New Jersey a national leader again.
"New Jersey needs to be the place where we prove that strong environmental policy and forward-looking economic policy not only go hand-in-hand, but can improve every community," said Phil Murphy. "We need to turn the page from the misleading rhetoric and damaging policies of the past seven years, and make our state a true leader again in clean energy to not only responsibly power our state's economy and protect our air and water, but create good jobs. I thank Clean Water Action for their endorsement, and look forward to building this future together."
Clean Water Action noted they were especially impressed with Murphy on several fronts:
- His just released job-creating Climate Change and Clean Energy agenda to get to a 100% clean energy economy by 2050 that will be launched during his first 100 days and make New Jersey a national leader on:
- offshore wind – 3,500 MW by 2030, enough to power 1.5 million homes and
- clean energy storage -- 600 MW by 2021 and 2000 MW by 2030
- His commitment to environmental justice including ensuring clean energy funds are used for their intended purposes and impacted communities benefit from those funds as the NJ Environmental Justice Alliance has championed, and providing new, fair revenues sources so that state government can do the job it's supposed to do.
- His ability to effectively challenge, and provide a real, strong alternative to, the Trump anti-environment agenda.
"New Jersey really needs strong leadership in our next Governor. Phil Murphy will be that Governor -- a strong candidate with a solid understanding of crucial environmental issues: climate change and energy, healthy water, clean air and environmental justice for all citizens," added Sharon Finlayson, Clean Water Action's NJ Political Committee Chair.
"Our next governor must not only be strong on the issues but also have the political will and management skill to overcome the damage wrought by Christie's past and Trump's present. Phil Murphy will be that Governor. That's why we're proud to endorse him and will mobilize our members, knocking on doors and so much more to win this race and secure a better future for the people of New Jersey especially our children," concluded Amy Goldsmith, Clean Water Action's NJ State Director.
Clean Water Action is a one million-member organization with more than 100,000 New Jersey members. We work to win strong health and environmental protections by bringing issue expertise, solution-oriented thinking and people power to the table. We fight for clean water; environmental justice, and environmentally safe jobs and businesses.
Paid for by Clean Water Action | 198 Brighton Ave, 2nd Fl, Long Branch, NJ 07740 | Phone: 732-963-9714 | www.cleanwateraction.org/nj