Minnesota State Director | Minneapolis MN
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking a State Director to oversee our programs in Minnesota. Clean Water Action is a national, grassroots environmental organization that seeks to protect the environment and safeguard public health, promote passage of strong environmental laws, and help communities address local environmental problems affecting them. Clean Water Action has nearly one million members nationally. Clean Water Fund provides research, education, organizing, and technical assistance to strengthen grassroots environmental efforts around the country, promoting the public interest on issues related to water, natural resources, health, and a healthy economy. Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund work together on selected campaigns and programs.
Clean Water’s campaigns in Minnesota focus on protecting water resources from contamination and degradation; advancing zero waste strategies and fighting plastic pollution; safeguarding public health by reducing the use of toxic chemicals in industrial processes and consumer products; improving the sustainability of food systems; protecting and restoring the Great Lakes; promoting democracy and opposing voter suppression efforts, and electing pro-environment candidates to office at the local and state levels.
Overall responsibility for leading and developing Clean Water’s work in Minnesota, including the following:
- Develop and oversee campaigns at the local and state levels in Minnesota, including legislative and electoral campaigns, coalition building, research/policy development, and public education.
- Assist in implementing national campaigns in Minnesota, particularly protecting the federal Clean Water Act.
- Develop and implement fundraising plans in conjunction with national staff, raising funds from foundations, individual donors, events, and other sources.
- Hire, train and supervise program staff and occasional contractors.
- Provide programmatic direction and support for field and phone canvass programs. Work in partnership with canvass leadership to build strong canvass programs.
- Support Clean Water’s efforts to become an anti-racist organization and expand our work with BIPOC communities.
- Represent Clean Water in work with other organizations, public officials, funders, and the media.
- Regular travel throughout Minnesota and to occasional national gatherings is required.
- Five years of experience in campaign organizing. Environmental experience preferred though not required. Experience with grassroots and coalition organizing and campaigns is desirable, as is experience with electoral campaigns.
- Cultural competence, commitment to racial justice and equity, and experience working with diverse communities and staff are required. Multilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Successful fundraising experience with foundations, individual donors, and events.
- Ability to provide strategic leadership to build the organization and its programs.
- Demonstrated experience supervising, supporting, and developing staff and volunteers, including people working remotely.
- Experience developing and working with leadership bodies such as boards of directors, campaign or coalition steering committees.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills, computer literacy, ability to multi-task in dynamic work environment.
- Experience with professional field and phone canvass programs is highly desirable.
- Multilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all positions that will work in our offices or travel in our vehicles. Proof of vaccination will be required for applicants for this position.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Email a letter of interest and resume to Cindy Luppi at email@example.com. Interested internal candidates, please contact your supervisor.