Kern County Organizer
Clean Water Action/Clean Water Fund seek a half-time organizer (with possibility to increase hours) to work on protecting community health and the environment from the impacts of environmental pollution, with a focus on oil and gas development in the CA Central Valley. Clean Water Action is a national citizens’ organization working for clean, safe and affordable water, prevention of health-threatening pollution, creation of environmentally-safe jobs and businesses, and empowerment of people to make democracy work. Clean Water Fund organizes strong grassroots groups, coalitions and campaigns to protect our environment, health, economic well-being and community quality of life.
Primary duties include:
- Work with Kern County residents and Clean Water staff to develop strategies for reducing environmental and health impacts associated with oil development in Kern County and statewide.
- Organize in local communities impacted by oil and gas waste and air emissions to build community engagement and community voices.
- Help build community engagement in Kern County to influence state and local policies, through legislative and regulatory campaigns.
- Advocate for policies with local and regional regulatory agencies and elected officials to protect community health. Primary issue focus will be working to limit pollution from oil and gas production activities. May work on additional issues, such as access to clean drinking water and addressing toxic waste and air pollution as needed.
- Work with allies in the environmental justice, social justice, labor and broader progressive community to build strong coalitions.
- Conduct research on the oil and gas industry, including environmental and health impacts and regulatory oversight.
- Develop written materials in English and Spanish, including content for the Clean Water website, fact sheets, blogs and reports.
- Provide input on fundraising and strategic planning efforts of the program.
- Perform other duties as directed by Supervisor.
- Several years experience organizing in communities of color.
- Several years experience in campaign implementation and policy advocacy.
- Dedication to environmental and social justice issues affecting communities in the Central Valley a must. Familiarity with oil and gas or environmental issues a plus.
- Exceptional bi-lingual (English and Spanish) public speaking and writing skills.
- Strong cross-cultural communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with diverse audiences in order to enlist broad-based support.
- Physically able.
- Good judgment, excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task.
- Must have reliable transportation and auto insurance.
- Available for evening meetings, some weekend travel, projects and/or training.
- Ability to meet deadlines and complete assignments in timely fashion; productive, hardworking, and reliable work style.
- Good people-skills, energetic, and motivated.
- Working knowledge of online communications techniques, including social media platforms.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Attractive benefits package available.