Grassroots Management Trainee
Clean Water Action is dedicated to building a movement of strong environmental leaders. For that purpose we are hiring activists that wish to grow within the organization and the movement. Our Grassroots Management Trainee positions are open to those who want to develop into Field Managers and Canvass Directors. Newly hired staff will start at the entry level position. Over the course of a few months, you will learn the basics of running a successful grassroots campaign, including, but not limited to, fundraising and donor recruitment, recruiting, hiring, training, supervising staff, and balancing a budget.
Canvass Directors are the leaders of our organizing team. They are responsible for the local success of our grassroots offices across the country.
- Run the day to day operations of the grassroots organizing effort.
- Create development plans for all staff, meeting with individuals regularly, identifying and cultivating leaders.
- Recruit staff from the local community. Make hiring and firing decisions.
- Plan our local election work to get pro-environment candidates elected.
- Coordinate with organizational program staff and canvass teams to ensure accurate campaign messaging.
- Support Program staff as needed with research, event planning, and organizational communication.
- Ensure quality training focusing on nonprofit management, sustainability initiatives, and public policy.
- Track individual and office performance to identify areas of improvement.
- Provide support and training in the field by canvassing 1-3 days per week.
- Manage annual office budget, monitor monthly expenses.
- Complete payroll and other human resource tasks.
Field Managers play a critical role ensuring success of the organization’s grassroots campaigns.
- Train, develop, and manage a crew of canvass staff to do high quality community organizing.
- Report to and work with the Canvass Director to recommend who is hired, fired, promoted.
- Analyze crew and individual performance, make recommendations for improvement.
- Carry out administrative, logistic, and financial management responsibilities as necessary to run efficient and safe crews.
- Meet/exceed all canvassing and organizing standards. Understand, educate, and hold staff accountable to organizational policies and procedures.
- Must have strong communication and motivational skills
- Must be a self starter who can work autonomously
- Desire for political change is essential
- Candidates must be able to work within and lead a team.
- Experience handling many responsibilities preferred
- Applicants with previous grassroots leadership experience will be considered for fast tracked training